Carla: I’m thinking of getting involved in a multi-level marketing business. The company has a line of cleaning products which make everything spic and span. I can make a lot of money depending on how hard I work. The sky is the limit. What do you think?
Phil: Right off the bat, I can think of a couple of reasons why that’s not a good idea. First of all, you’ll have to buy inventory and store it in your home so you have it to sell. And what happens if you don’t sell your product? I’ll tell you. You’re up the creek without a paddle. Every month you have to buy more product even if you haven’t sold all your stock.
Carla: Yes, but I’m sure I can make a go of this. At least I want to try.
Phil: I think someone’s trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Most people who go into this kind of business fail.
Carla: Even if that’s true, I think I’ll give it my best shot. I’m tired of not having any money. I just want my piece of the pie.
Phil: All I know is a friend of mine joined a network marketing company and they took him to the cleaners. He spent thousands of dollars with little return. But you know, it’s your funeral. Do what you want.
Carla: Would you consider doing it with me? There would be less risk that way.
Phil: Yea, that’ll be the day!
Carla: Well, if you change your mind, let me know.
• spic and span: very, very clean
• the sky is the limit: there are no limits
• right off the bat: without delay
• up the creek without a paddle: in a terrible situation with no solution
• make a go of: be successful with
• pull the wool over one’s eyes: stop someone from knowing something
• give it one’s best shot: do the best one can do
• piece of the pie: part of the wealth of the world
• take (someone) to the cleaners: take all one’s money
• it’s one’s funeral: it’s one’s future failure
• that’ll be the day: that will never happen
• change one’s mind: change the way one thinks
You can say: make a go of this, make a go of it, or make a go of (something)
Example: I know I can make a go of starting my own business.
make a go of this can also be make a go of it
© 2014 Ambien Malecot