Hiroco: Hi Sonja. Do you want to come with me this afternoon and see me audition for the school play? I thought I would go for it and try out for the lead role.
Sonja: I’d love to, but I don’t feel up to going. I think I’m running a temperature.
Hiroco: I’m sorry you’re not feeling well, but I can’t stick around. The auditions only take place between 1:00 and 3:00 this afternoon.
Sonja: It’s too bad I can’t go. I’d love to see you show off your talent.
Hiroco: I just hope I’m not too rusty. I want to give them such a great audition that I stand out from all the others.
Sonja: I’m sure you’ll do just fine. Don’t let me hold you up. I don’t want you to run late.
Hiroco: Yes, I shouldn’t push my luck. I’ve been late too many times for auditions.
audition: a trial performance by an actor
play: a story actors do on stage
lead role: the most important character in a play
talent: skills, things you are good at
• go for it: do something one would normally be afraid to do
• try out for: show one’s skills to become part of a group
• feel up to: be well enough (to do something)
• run a temperature: have a fever
• stick around: stay here
• take place: happen
• show off: attract attention with unusual behavior
• be rusty: need practice
• stand out: be noticeable, be obvious
• hold up: delay / rob
• run late: be in a hurry (for work, class)
• push one’s luck: continue taking chances
Hold up has 2 meanings. The second meaning is “rob.” Example: The man who held up the convenience store escaped before the police came.
© 2013 Ambien Malecot